A Breastfeeding Journey in Singapore

I started breastfeeding my eldest daughter (Kieona)in March 2004, and continue to breastfeed her throughout my second pregnancy. Now my younger daughter (Kierra) is already 9 months old when I started this blog and I had been tandem nursing since her birth. This blog is set up for the sole purpose of recording my breastfeeding journey in Singapore and aims to share tips to help other mothers breastfeed successfully. Copyrighted 2006 by Pearline Foo

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Breastfeeding is a learned skill

The title says it all. Breastfeeding while it comes naturally, is really a learned skill. For new mothers who are breastfeeding for the first time, the most important thing is to acknowledge that breastfeeding is not something that you will definitely get it right the first time. If you do, congratulations! If not, don't fret. Just be real prepared to seek help. Don't be afraid to ask your assigned Lactation Consultant at the hospital you give birth to guide you along.

Or better still get someone who has successfully breastfed her child to help you along. Surround yourself with people who are breastfeeding and can provide you support. Don't be shy.

When my hubby and I decided that we wanted to breastfeed our children, we didn't prepare much for it (yes, not even reading about it). It was just pure luck that I got through nursing my eldest child without much help. We stuck doggedly to our belief even though there wasn't really much support for me at that time - neither my mother nor my mother-in-law breastfed their children. Most of the people around me then were zealous about me moving my child on to formula because they did, and so did the people around them. A good thing was that I had a friend called Winnie who had nursed her daughter and whom I can depend on when I was at my wits ends with some breasfeeding concerns... so you see, wasn't that pure luck?

What made it worse was that the confinement lady we hired had never breastfed before either, so imagine her and both my mother and mother-in-law "ganging up" to ask me "got enough milk or not?". If I told you I wasn't affected and my morale of didn't take a beating, I must be lying.

It definitely wasn't easy starting on breastfeeding at a time when it was still not considered as the norm in Singapore, but I am glad I was able to learn this "nature's skill" despite the initial challenges. At this point while I am writing this entry, I am still enjoying the joys of breastfeeding, and have already moved on to tandem nursing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home